Saratoga is a beautiful place to visit and live. Unfortunately, visitors and residents aren’t immune from car crashes and serious injuries. But while some accidents are unavoidable, others can be avoided and may not have happened but for negligent drivers.
If you’ve been injured in a car crash, you’ll most likely face time off work, a host of medical expenses, and a long recovery. It can be tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but getting full compensation is possible.
What causes most car accidents, anyway?
Before pursuing the compensation you are due, you must determine what caused your car accident. Here are a few common causes of car accidents you may encounter:
- Speeding: According to the NHTSA, speeding is one of the contributing factors to most traffic fatalities. Speeding limit’s the ability of a driver to maintain control.
- Distracted driving: Putting on makeup, texting while driving, flipping through radio stations, or any other diversion can cause a serious car accident.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol is one of the leading causes of car crashes. The ability of a driver to drive safely decreases if they have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 percent and higher.
- Manufacturer defects: Sometimes, auto manufacturers recall millions of vehicles, tires, car seats, and airbags because of safety defects. Such negligence from manufacturers can cause serious injuries and damage.
- Following too closely: In New York, following too closely. or “tailgating.” is fineable and also a significant cause of many car accidents. A driver following too closely can cause rear-end collisions, especially when the road conditions are poor.
File a claim if you were injured in a car accident
You are entitled to compensation if you’ve been injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence. However, if you don’t know your options or are unsure if the insurance company is lowballing you, ensure you seek legal guidance to protect your rights.